Double Edged Sword


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I live in a family of overachievers. To put it bluntly. I could blather on about how we simply all have high aspirations or something equally sweet. But, I have never liked artifical sweetener, so I am not about to start.

Some morning, when you wake up, it's like that old lion proverb:

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up. It knows that it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle ,when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

You can, insert appropriate and different siblings names into the gazelle and lion spaces, but all in all, it can be quite difficult living with the next Bill Gates, Diane Sawyer and Vera Wang. An eclectic conglomeration, but possible nonetheless.

Also, because we are all overachievers, we can never do enough. That might seem like a no-brainer to some, but think of the logsitics of it all and it becomes quite overwhelming. No matter how much we have on our plates, there is always room for more. (Do I see patterns of obesity emerging here?) We can never be stretched thin enough, work too hard or get too little sleep. Some (few) people look at us with awe and wonder applauding us for how wonderful we are. Just try living with us, it's exhausting! Every day you must justify your existence. Every day is one day closer to your deadline. LIFE IS ONE GIANT WORK PROJECT.

Anyway. To the mediocre, I salute you. Enjoy it while you can, because before long you are going to be taken of by one of my fabulous siblings.









2 Responses to “Double Edged Sword”

  1. Blogger whits809 

    I don't think I could take being an overachiever. Well, I am to an extent; I've been in the Honors Program/Accelerated Cluster/Quest whatever special ed for smart kids since the fourth grade and would be bored if I wasn't, but I just don't overdo things. Sometimes I wish I did, but don't you get overly stressed out sometimes? It seems way too exhausting.

  2. Blogger Porkchop 

    I don't know if OVERLY stressed out is the word to describe it. I mean, I am given to fits of laying down on the floor, kicking and screaming while beating my fists on the the floor, but nothing major. =)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


This odd narrative is my life. I ended up in Pittsburgh, of all places--from the beach. I have no hobbies, other than cooking excessively and eating microwave popcorn. I enjoy shopping, the Food network, hiding the remote so the Food network cannot be turned off, find ethnic food stores and restaurants and reading voraciously. My life is decidedly pedestrian.


I worked in the car business where I was required to be ruthless and soul-less wench, which is when I started this project. Since then, I've kept it up because secretly, I've always wanted to join the military. Every male in my mother's family has joined and I quietly entertain thoughts of joining. I haven't yet and don't know if I ever will, but sending the troops cookies keeps me sane. it makes me think I still have a shred of human kindness left in my withering soul. it's a small way for me to salute the men and women who are brave enough to fight for freedom. And makes me feel like I'm contributing toward troop morale--even if I'm not. So if you want to help, send me addresses of troops you know stationed overseas. you may also contribute toward the cost of chocolate chips, but don't feel obligated, that link is here only by request.


the past

archives


ATOM 0.3