Tribute to Courage


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Dictionary.com defines courage as: That quality of mind which enables one to encounter danger and difficulties with firmness, or without fear, or fainting of heart; valor; boldness; resolution.

I would like to give a tribute to people who sacrifice themselves for better causes, for bigger dreams and to generally help themself become a greater person even when it is painful. I have talked before of my appreciation for admirable people, men and women who sacrifice their lives for their country and the freedoms we enjoy, people who dedicate themselves to a cause and the general acts of selfless courage and bravery that occur every day.

But what is often overlooked, are the individuals who make personal sacrifices because they are so determined to achieve goals and dreams, these are not achievements for themselves and their personal glory, but these are hopes and plans to help others. And it is in their quest to help others that they sacrifice personal pleasure for greater rewards.

It is out of tradition that I post something significant whenever my sister decides to break up with a boyfriend, but this is far more than a boyfriend-schmuck-ass bashing post, this is a tribute to my lovely sister who has chosen the greater and bigger rewards than having a temporal boyfriend.

While he is a very nice guy, sort of, even occasionally sending her very ugly flowers, he is not the best thing she could have and he is hindering her. Instead of getting hung up, weighed down and distracted by a temporal distraction, she has chosen the higher road. Knowing that if she did not, her plans of changing the world, impacting young people and touching lives would be much dampered.

So, here is a toast to Joy! The brave, the fearless and the dedicated sister who realized life is bigger than a boyfriend and chose people over a person.


1 Responses to “Tribute to Courage”

  1. Blogger joy 

    Awww *sniffle* thanks dear

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


This odd narrative is my life. I ended up in Pittsburgh, of all places--from the beach. I have no hobbies, other than cooking excessively and eating microwave popcorn. I enjoy shopping, the Food network, hiding the remote so the Food network cannot be turned off, find ethnic food stores and restaurants and reading voraciously. My life is decidedly pedestrian.


I worked in the car business where I was required to be ruthless and soul-less wench, which is when I started this project. Since then, I've kept it up because secretly, I've always wanted to join the military. Every male in my mother's family has joined and I quietly entertain thoughts of joining. I haven't yet and don't know if I ever will, but sending the troops cookies keeps me sane. it makes me think I still have a shred of human kindness left in my withering soul. it's a small way for me to salute the men and women who are brave enough to fight for freedom. And makes me feel like I'm contributing toward troop morale--even if I'm not. So if you want to help, send me addresses of troops you know stationed overseas. you may also contribute toward the cost of chocolate chips, but don't feel obligated, that link is here only by request.


the past

archives


ATOM 0.3