This Is The Part Where The Parents Make Sense


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I grew up on the classics. By classics I do not mean The Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd. I mean Beethove, Ttchaikovsky and Liszt, with the occasional measure of hymns and gregorian chants thrown in for good measure and variety.

Once freed of my mother's oppresive (and in my mind--poor) tastes in all manner of ancient instruments, harpsichord, dulcimer, harp, accordian and anything else that might rake our nerves, I joyously deserted the classics. I induged myself in every genre I felt I had missed. My music collection is straining the very seams of my iPod. I'm 2 gigs shy of being full. In my collecting I've discovered much. I've delighted myself with new artists and genres. I have found songs that make me laugh and cry.

Most of all, I've realized that nothings relaxes me more than a lovely compliation of Mozart masterpieces while I'm trying to work through stressful problems at work.

I feel so old saying that. But Mom was right. Something I find myself saying more and more these days.


4 Responses to “This Is The Part Where The Parents Make Sense”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    As long as you never get to the point where you say, "Biting people on the nose--now THAT'S a rational response."
    BTW- currently loving Rachmaninov piano concertos. Superawesome.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    the other day i was flipping the radio on the way home from the grocery store. chopin came on, and he made me cry.

    sometimes a melancholy classic concerto is better than all the coldplay in the world.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I love classical music. I even took a course on the symphony my senior year fo college ot learn more baout it (and to get free concert tickets). There are some great soundtracks from recent movies with nice scores too. Lately I've been relaxing myself after a long day at work by listening to the "Pride&Prejudice" soundtrack on my iPod. It's really chill and light.

    And vdoprincess, the Rachmaninoff concertos are awesome. And so is his Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Ah, yes! I was quite the educated little classical music monster back in the day. Advanced music workshops, the history of the classics...

    It's just now I actually appreciate all that work.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


This odd narrative is my life. I ended up in Pittsburgh, of all places--from the beach. I have no hobbies, other than cooking excessively and eating microwave popcorn. I enjoy shopping, the Food network, hiding the remote so the Food network cannot be turned off, find ethnic food stores and restaurants and reading voraciously. My life is decidedly pedestrian.


I worked in the car business where I was required to be ruthless and soul-less wench, which is when I started this project. Since then, I've kept it up because secretly, I've always wanted to join the military. Every male in my mother's family has joined and I quietly entertain thoughts of joining. I haven't yet and don't know if I ever will, but sending the troops cookies keeps me sane. it makes me think I still have a shred of human kindness left in my withering soul. it's a small way for me to salute the men and women who are brave enough to fight for freedom. And makes me feel like I'm contributing toward troop morale--even if I'm not. So if you want to help, send me addresses of troops you know stationed overseas. you may also contribute toward the cost of chocolate chips, but don't feel obligated, that link is here only by request.


the past

archives


ATOM 0.3