Young People


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Young people today are called lazy, irresponsible and reckless, They are said to be devoid of morality, dreams and thoughts for others. The stereotype is celf-centered, arrogant and egotistical.

Speaking as a young person I can honestly say that I think for the most part, that is a very fair summary in general. But should adults really be suprised at the attitudes of young people when that kind of behavior is tolerated, nay expected from today's youth! I am not saying this statemnet as a blanket rule, but more often than not, the attitude from adults is indifference, condiescention and boredom.

People are not encouraging, much less expecting any sort of standard of behavior from young people. When sub-standard behavior accours or actions that are often illegal, adults frequently dismiss it with a chickle of "teens will be teens."

While some parents worry, chasten and even discipline their teenager, they do not see why the child is behaving as such. Nothing better is expected. You must expect and encourage excellence if you want to see results.

As a accomplished young person, adults express a variety of emotions when they find out my age. Everything from sheer disbelief, admiration and respect to indifference, aloof arrogance and disgust. Trying to better myself as a young person hasn't been easy. Most people won't give you a chance or take you seriously.

My last job was in food service. Typical teenager work. When i went in to give my two weeks notice, instead of congratulating me on landing a job that actually had career potential, significant pay raise and challenging opportunities. My employer simply sneered "your only seventeen."

So! Why are you trying to sell me short just because I am trying to achieve? Are you really that insecure. I have had several wonderful job offers, except when they find out I am seventeen, they quickly withdraw their offers.

That is age discrimination! People who claim they are Equal Opportunity Emploeys are lying! Anyway, I will no longer rant, but it is just a thought.


So often, so often and unnecessarily, I begin to stress over things so trivial. Things to which I do not need to give more than a moticome of thought.

Take for instance, Brinttany's wedding and shower in general. Stephanie and I have been sweating bullets, shedding grape-sized tears and being outselves up ofver a WEDDING shower. Most of the stress was not personally induced, but by the horrific mother-of-the-bride and bitchy sister-in-law from hell. Both of them calling insistently, asking questions, demanding answers and liberally giving unwanted, unwarrented and unasked for adivice over a wedding shower in August for a DECEMBER wedding. And I began to fret, what if they don't like the shower? What if they get angry with me?

Then I had a blinding revelation! SCREW IT! SCREW THEM ALL! It is a freaking shower! I have better things to do with my life the plase bitchy MOTB. If that means not being a bridesmaid, so be it. I love Brittany to death, but I refuse to be harassed over a shower. I am trying to be selfless and a good friend, but some people will never be pleased so their is to point in stressing.

One more word out of Mrs. West and I will tell the woman to not only shove the whole shower up her butt, but the boquets as well, just to make sure she has a lasting impression.


Anyway, I had some other stuff I was going to say. But I am very, very tired. Good Night.


0 Responses to “Young People”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


This odd narrative is my life. I ended up in Pittsburgh, of all places--from the beach. I have no hobbies, other than cooking excessively and eating microwave popcorn. I enjoy shopping, the Food network, hiding the remote so the Food network cannot be turned off, find ethnic food stores and restaurants and reading voraciously. My life is decidedly pedestrian.


I worked in the car business where I was required to be ruthless and soul-less wench, which is when I started this project. Since then, I've kept it up because secretly, I've always wanted to join the military. Every male in my mother's family has joined and I quietly entertain thoughts of joining. I haven't yet and don't know if I ever will, but sending the troops cookies keeps me sane. it makes me think I still have a shred of human kindness left in my withering soul. it's a small way for me to salute the men and women who are brave enough to fight for freedom. And makes me feel like I'm contributing toward troop morale--even if I'm not. So if you want to help, send me addresses of troops you know stationed overseas. you may also contribute toward the cost of chocolate chips, but don't feel obligated, that link is here only by request.


the past

archives


ATOM 0.3