No--What A Liberating Word


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Used to, when it came to work, I was the biggest pushover. You didn't have to ask me to work overtime, if you hinted at it, I did it. Weekends? Check! Working through lunch breaks? Check! No lunch breaks? Check! Special projects? Check! Having to skip out on family stuff because of work? Check!

I was ALL ABOUT IT. Because of this, it generally made me a pretty favored employee. It made me feel so important! You know, having to pass up on everything because I had to work. Sorry! Can't make it to Granny's funeral! Did I ask off?! NO! I don't even want to THINK about troubling the higher powers that be. THEY CANNOT BE BOTHERED WITH SUCH TRIVIAL MATTERS.

Now, I can't blame ALL of this on my own self importance. This is how we were raised. Work, was a viable emotion option. Do you love someone?! You work! Are you angry?! Work! Are you depressed?! WORK IT OFF! Work was the way we communicated. We knew how to work! We have been, and always will be, work horses. We plow through our work until we GET IT DONE. We do not stop until we GET IT DONE. There is no task to big or to small. WE WILL CONQUER.

Needless to say, employment has never been a problem for any of us. Our Dad always said "If you can't get a job, go work for someone for free. They will see how hard you can and will work and will hire you." I remember thinking how silly that was. I mean, WHO DOESN'T WORK HARD?! As I got older, I found out--alot of people. Hence internships, projects and even other jobs have always grown us a crop of other job offers. We are a family who works hard and prides ourself in our reputation.

Of course, as my father has gotten older, he has tried to temper our young zealousy with a few sage words regarding priorities and the brevitity of life. These speeches were normally met with a nod of comprehension and not much more. After all, half the time when we heard these talks, we were busily working WHILE he told us this. Hands--always in motion. Eyes--searching for a new task. Mouth--yelling out orders. Foot--tapping impatiently for the next job.

The offspring of my father is always loved by employers. Normally, we end up taking the responsibility of a couple of people. This gives us much leveraging power when negotiating with our employers. But this also makes us a tiny bit hated by our co-workers. Normally we show them up to a certain degree. After all the majority of being a "shining star" is hard work, very little of it intelligence. (I am not negating my siblings intelligence, they are all very, very smart. I am simply saying that hard work gets you--far.)

I think, I have sufficiently communicated the ingrained love of work and loyalty to employers. So when I tell you that I told my employer that no I would not work this weekend. It was monumental! This is the second time I have told my employer no. Now, don't get me wrong, it isn't like I am shouting NO! at them everytime they ask me to do something. This is me saying no when they ask me to do something outside the bounds of my contract that would interfere with me spending time with my family.

Ah! NO! (Like those Capitol One ads.) What's in YOUR wallet?

Here is to a year ahead that is balanced between work and family!


0 Responses to “No--What A Liberating Word”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


This odd narrative is my life. I ended up in Pittsburgh, of all places--from the beach. I have no hobbies, other than cooking excessively and eating microwave popcorn. I enjoy shopping, the Food network, hiding the remote so the Food network cannot be turned off, find ethnic food stores and restaurants and reading voraciously. My life is decidedly pedestrian.


I worked in the car business where I was required to be ruthless and soul-less wench, which is when I started this project. Since then, I've kept it up because secretly, I've always wanted to join the military. Every male in my mother's family has joined and I quietly entertain thoughts of joining. I haven't yet and don't know if I ever will, but sending the troops cookies keeps me sane. it makes me think I still have a shred of human kindness left in my withering soul. it's a small way for me to salute the men and women who are brave enough to fight for freedom. And makes me feel like I'm contributing toward troop morale--even if I'm not. So if you want to help, send me addresses of troops you know stationed overseas. you may also contribute toward the cost of chocolate chips, but don't feel obligated, that link is here only by request.


the past

archives


ATOM 0.3